Saturday, October 4, 2014

#RaisingBoys: Football, Gender Roles and Violence Against Women

Recently I signed as a speaker with Soapbox Inc. and was asked to write for their SoapVOX blog. Being that October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month the video surfacing recently that showed Ray Rice knocking out his now-wife, my first post was about how to talk to boys about domestic violence. Check it out here:


I work at a University and one of the campaigns we do every year for Relationship Violence Awareness Month is the Red Flag Campaign (which I helped to create along with other interpersonal violence prevention advocates from various Virginia colleges and universities). You don't have to be a college student to find this campaign helpful. Last year I wrote a piece about healthy versus unhealthy relationship behaviors referencing the content from the Red Flag Campaign. 
Check it out here:

If you feel that your relationship is unhealthy, there are advocates out there ready and willing to help.


October always reminds me just how important it is to raise my boys to be good men. Have you talked to your kids about healthy and unhealthy relationships?

I love it when my boys hug!
(Yes, that's an Elmo bucket on Myles' head. LOL)

No comments:

Post a Comment